New Alliance Annex to the Child Protection COVID-19 Technical Note & Webinar: Working with Communities to Keep Children Safe #Webinar #technicalnote #workingwithcommunities

Lauren Bienkowski

Hi All,

The Alliance is happy to share a new Annex to the Technical Note: Protection of Children during the COVID-19 Pandemic. This Annex focuses on Working with Communities to Keep Children Safe during the COVID-19 PandemicRead more about the new annex and download here.   A webinar on the same topic has been scheduled for tomorrow, 20th May at 2:00 PM - 3:30 PM CET.  Register here.

Description of the Annex below:

Infectious diseases like COVID-19 can disrupt the protective environments in which children grow and develop. Disruptions to families, friendships, daily routines and the wider community can have negative consequences for children’s well-being, development and protection. COVID-19 also has a direct impact on the ability of child protection actors to engage with communities, as well as on the ability of communities to self-protect and support each other. Learning from past infectious disease outbreaks has demonstrated that community members act to protect children from the onset of the crisis, and are best placed to identify both child protection and COVID-19 related risks and respond effectively and appropriately.

This guidance aims at supporting child protection actors working with communities to keep children safe to adapt their programming to the contagious environment of COVID-19. It builds upon Standard 17 in the Minimum Standards for Child Protection in Humanitarian Action and includes key actions and hyperlinks to additional resources, links and tips aimed at:

  1. Understanding how communities organize themselves to protect children in times of COVID-19
  2. Working with communities to implement safe and effective ways to protect children in times of COVID-19
  3. The health, safety and wellbeing of community members.

We hope you can participate in the webinar tomorrow; otherwise, a recording of the webinar will be uploaded here.

Warmest regards,
Sara & Lauren

Krissie Hayes

Thanks again for this great document. We are finalising a 2 page checklist to support communities and families to prepare for and respond to CP issues given we have little access to camps.

We are also planning a TOT for cp partners to work with communities to develop their own plans in case we have no access going forward.
Any learning or experiences from other contexts would be extremely useful for the training! As well as interesting for our CP partners who are rapidly adjusting to a bottom up approach

Michelle Van Akin

Hi Krissie,

I would strongly encourage you to take a look at the "Reflective Field Guide: Community-Level Approaches to Child Protection in Humanitarian Action", which was launched by the CCP TF in April. All of the resources can be found here: cpie.info/ccp

This includes:
  1. Reflective Field Guide - which has very useful handouts that serve as a "how to" guide in engaging with communities
  2. Face-to-Face Capacity building package - 2 training modules with a total of 16 sessions and accompanying facilitator's guide, sample agendas, handouts, pre/post tests, and evaluations
  3. Online Learning Series - which follows a young displaced girl named Nina through her interactions with Child Protection actors and illustrates the key messages of the Reflective Field Guide in a very engaging way. There is also a facilitator's guide to accompany these four videos.

I hope this information helps! Please don't hesitate to reach out to me for more information.

Best,
Michelle

Lauren Bienkowski

Thanks so much, Michelle, for sharing this great resource package.   Some of the sessions in Module 2 related to identifying CP risks and action planning might be most relevant to your current needs, Krissie, and I'd invite colleagues from Sudan and the Philippines to share any adapted training modules and action plans you might have as these materials were based on experiences in your countries.  Examples from other countries are welcome too.

Cheers, Lauren